Family Solicitors Milton Keynes

Family Breakdown and Divorce Solicitors

Jennings Solicitors are a local family run firm in Milton Keynes and offer expert advice in all divorce, separation and family law related matters boasting in excess of 40 years combined experience to help deal with your case.

Sound, practical advice from an experienced family solicitor can be invaluable when your family relationships are in turmoil. Serving an increasingly diverse local community like Milton Keynes, we have acquired the expertise to handle difficult situations, often involving complex financial and family arrangements, with sympathy and firmness.

If the relationship with your partner breaks down, we will tell you where you stand legally, how the law can help you, explain what course of action you should take and provide you with the best possible advice and service. You should not make any important decisions, which may affect your future, before you talk to us. If there is no alternative to divorce, we will seek a resolution, preferably through negotiation, that will protect your interests, your children and your assets. If agreement cannot be reached, we will act vigorously in court on your behalf.

Jennings Solicitors of Milton Keynes can advise on and issue divorce/civil separation proceedings for heterosexual or same sex couples. We can also provide advice on every step necessary to obtain a separation. Unmarried couples also have rights when it comes to child contact and property settlement matters and so it is essential to understand your rights.

Settling financial matters on divorce is often the most worrying and complex part of a divorce. Here at Jennings Solicitors we hope to take the stress away from the situation for you. The law in this area is very flexible to enable courts to achieve fairness. However, the outcome of any hearing depends very much on the individual circumstances of each case. We know that the ouctome of these proceedings will affect the rest of your life and we have to get it right!

It is usually the case that a family's main asset is the family home. The courts have to give specific priority to the needs of any children and so it is always important to make sure that a suitable home is available for them. It may be that the family home may have to be sold with the proceeds divided between the couple, the division of the net proceeds being dependant on the specific circumstances of each case. Another option is for the family home to be transferred to one spouse, the other receiving a greater share of other assets. A less common approach, when there are few other options available, could allow one person to stay in the house with the other keeping an interest in the property until it is sold. A usual trigger event for the sale of the property is when the youngest child has finished full-time education. There are so many options available and we will advise you of the most likely option in your situation.

Pensions can also contribute a huge amount to the matrimonial pot and so a pension sharing order may be a consideration. Pension sharing will not be appropriate in all cases and, where it is an option, the fund will not always be divided equally. This can be a very complex area and one in which, once again we here at Jennings Solicitors can offer specialist expert advice.

When a marriage breaks down the property will often be dealt with within the matrimonial proceedings. However, when cohabiting couples break up who aren’t married and decide to separate, often the most difficult issue is the occupation of and ownership in the home.

If you have bought a house together in joint names, one of you may want to stay and the other go. If you can 'buy out' the other and take over any mortgage then the procedure is fairly straight forward.

However, if you can’t agree or buying one or the other out isn’t feasible, what can be done? Or what if your partner simply won’t deal with matters and ignores all attempts at reaching an agreement what are your rights?

The court can be asked to order a sale of the property and as the courts powers are quite limited they usually grant such an application. But even if a house is just in one persons name, the other partner who has contributed upon the basis that they have an interest, can ask the Court to give legal recognition to take account of their contributions.

Where a house has provided the children with a home, a different Application under the Children Act can be made.

Domestic Violence is a crime and the police are obliged to investigate. If you have been assaulted you should tell the police as soon as possible. If you are in fear of imminent danger of assault you should call 999.

If you have been the victim of violence or it has been threatened against you It is possible to take a civil injunction against the perpetrator whether that be a spouse or co-habiteé or other 'associated person', we can ask the court to make an order on your behalf and for your protections. The court order will specify what behaviour the person guilty of violence or harassment is prevented from doing. That can be an occupation order to prevent the person from returning to the family home and putting you at further risk.

If you or your children are at risk of violence and you have nowhere to escape to, you should be offered temporary accommodation at a refuge from Women’s Aid. You should also be granted priority as a homeless person on council housing list.

In a divorce or relationship break-up, it can be the children who suffer more than anyone as there is often upheaval at home and it can have a lasting effect on them. The needs of any children in a separation should be the priority for any couple.

The law is quite rightly focused on the rights of the children. You should consider what is in the best interests of your children and try and put aside any personal feelings you have for your partner.

In most instances absent parents – most commonly fathers – have the right to regularly see their children, know where they are living and have access to certain information about their upbringing, such as how they are doing at school. However, ensuring that contact arrangements are put in place and run as smoothly as possible is not always easy and here at Jennings Solicitors we will work hard to ensure that your interests are looked after.

Changes in the law means that mediation has to be the first port of call in most cases before embarking upon issuing legal proceedings. Here at Jennings Solicitors we can guide you through the whole process and make the appropriate referral for you.

If you were married, each party has parental responsibility and so is entitled to certain things, like knowing where the child is living. They can also apply to the court over issues of contact or residence for their children.

If a couple split up and were not married, only the mother has automatic parental responsibility although the father may also have parental responsibility, depending on when the child was born and if his name is on the birth certificate.

Here at Jennings Solicitors we can advise you on any steps necessary to assist you on parental responsibility matters.

We provide advice and representation on the full range of cases that can arise after an adoption order is made. Jennings Solicitors can advise and assist all those involved with adoption on searching and re-establishing contact with a birth parent, birth family members or the adopted child.

Jennings Solicitors offer change of name deeds for adults and children on a fixed fee of £72 inclusive of VAT. We can also advise who can make a change of name deed and who needs to be notified.

If you need a solicitor or legal advice, please email us or telephone us on 01908 226138
39 Cambridge Street, Wolverton, Milton Keynes MK12 5AE
01908 320934
Follow Jennings Solicitors on Facebook Follow Jennings Solicitors on Twitter Find out more about Jennings Solicitors on LinkedIn
Solicitor  Milton Keynes Credit Cards acceptedCredit/Debit Cards, Cheques & BACS payments accepted